- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- a generous pinch of curry leaves
- crushed dried chilli (Add to your taste)
- 1 chopped onion (large)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1.5 kg chicken thighs and drumsticks (on the bone, skin on is optional)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground chilli
- seasoning to taste
- 1 tin good quality crushed tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or a deep saucepan. When hot add the mustard and cumin seeds, curry leaves and crushed dried chilli. Stir gently for around 30 seconds until the fragrance is released.
- Add the chopped onion, followed by the garlic and ginger. Stir gently on a low heat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Cut a couple of deep slashes into each of the chicken thighs and drumsticks before adding to the pan. Stir, coating the chicken with the onion, garlic, ginger and whole spices.
- Next add the ground coriander, ground cumin, garam masala, turmeric, ground chilli and seasoning.
- Mix the chicken thoroughly with the onion, garlic, ginger and spice mix. Make sure the chicken is coated with all the spices, and continue to cook until the chicken starts to brown.
- Tip all the contents into the slow cooker.
- Add the tin of crushed tomatoes and stir to mix the tomatoes into the chicken and spices.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve with basmati rice.
- This post contains affiliate links