- 500g fresh beetroot, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of curry leaves (be generous)
- 1 dried chilli, crushed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbs desiccated coconut
- juice of one lime
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Put the peeled and quartered beetroot into a bowl, add the olive oil, and with your hands toss the beetroot is evenly coated with the oil.
- Spread the oiled, quartered beetroot out on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle the salt on top, and pop the tray in the middle shelf of your oven for 30 minutes.
- Once the beetroot has cooked, soft and tender take out of the oven. Let the beets cool, then slice and put aside.
- On a medium flame, heat the vegetable oil in a large solid bottomed frying pan.
- Add the cumin and mustard seeds, crushed dried red chilli and curry leaves.
- Once the seeds start popping, add the sliced red onion.
- Stir the onion until the onion becomes translucent.
- Now add the garlic and ginger, cook for a further two minutes.
- Then add the sliced roasted beetroot, stir for another two minutes, until coated with the spices.
- Add the desiccated coconut, and stir until all the beetroot is covered.
- Finally, add the freshly squeezed lime, and serve immediately.
Keywords: beetroot, Sri Lankan recipe, beetroot recipe