- 500g beetroot
- 2 tbs coconut / vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustards seeds
- fresh green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cms of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar
- 200ml of coconut milk
- Juice of one fresh lime
1. Top and tail your beetroot, peel if you want, and grate into a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan then add the mustard seeds, chilli and curry leaves.
3. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook the onions until they are soft and start to turn translucent.
4. Now add the beetroot, ground coriander, sugar and vinegar. Stir into the onions and spices. Cook until the beetroot starts to soften, around seven minutes.
5. Pour in the coconut milk mix into the beetroot, cover the pan, lower the heat and allow to the beetroot to cook until the beetroot is soft and tender.
6. Check that the beetroot doesn’t dry out – if it does add a little water. Also taste and add a little salt.
7. Just before you take the beetroot off the heat stir in the juice of the lime. And serve.
8. I love serving this with a good pork curry, why not check out my Sri Lankan black pork curry a perfect partner for this beetroot curry.
- I like to cook this in a frying pan, and it does help to have one with a lid
- Be patient with this recipe, it can take time for the beetroot to cook fully. You know when it will be done as the beetroot doesn’t have any bite. It should be soft and tender.
Keywords: Sri Lankan beetroot curry