- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a generous pinch of curry leaves
- 2 fresh red chills (de-seeded if you prefer a mild heat)
- 400 grammes courgettes, finely sliced
- pepper and salt to taste
- juice of one lime
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium flame.
- When the oil is hot add the mustard and cumin seeds, the fresh red chilli and curry leaves.
- The seeds will start to pop and release their fragrance, this is when you need to add the sliced onions.
- Stir the spices and onions until the onions start to turn translucent – this will take around two to three minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic, stirring frequently for another two minutes. Be careful not to let the garlic burn (turn down the heat if needed).
- Now add the finely sliced courgettes. Stir quickly and frequently so all the courgettes are coated thoroughly with the spices, onion, ginger and garlic.
- Keep stir frying until the courgettes start to get a golden brown sheen.
- Sprinkle the turmeric over the courgettes. Keep stir-frying, for around three to five minutes for the turmeric to evenly coat the courgettes.
- Finally, add salt and pepper to taste and a good strong squeeze of lime (you’ll need the juice of one lime).
- Serve immediately with rice and an accompanying curry such as dhal.
- The trick with this recipe is to use finely sliced courgettes
- What really makes this recipe is the juice of the freshly squeezed lime, it really complements the spices and courgettes