My recipe for sesame balls with coconut and palm sugar is based on
Most recipes require the sesame seeds to be pounded with the coconut and the palm sugar into a paste. I’ve tried this a few times and this hasn’t worked. Each time I’ve tried to shape the mixture into a ball it simply collapses. I have found the addition of Medjool or any squishy date act as a natural sweetener helping bind the ingredients making it easier to shape the sesame balls.
I’ve been making these little sesame balls to take into work – so much better than a chocolate digestive when the four O’clock munchies hit
I have a stash of these at home, stored in the fridge for freshness.
What is jaggery?
Palm sugar or jaggery is a natural unrefined sugar and used in South Asian and South-East Asian cooking. Jaggary can be found as a solid block or treacle. Sri Lankan jaggery comes from the
Where can I buy jaggery?
You can find palm sugar or jaggery in Indian or Sri Lankan grocery stores, larger supermarkets or online.
What can I use instead of jaggery?
If you can’t get hold of palm sugar or jaggery I would suggest using another unrefined sugar such as dark muscovado sugar.Print
Sesame and coconut energy balls with palm sugar
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes (shaping sesame balls)
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 20 – 24 balls 1x
- Category: Tea time
- Method: No bake
- Cuisine: Sri Lankan
- 250g sesame seeds
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 100g palm sugar or jaggery
- 100g Medjool dates
- In a large frying pan dry roast the sesame seeds and coconut until the coconut turns golden.
- Using a food processor, in batches, blitz the sesame seeds coconut, palm sugar and dates.
- Tip the blended mix into a bowl.
- Using your hands, grab a fistful of sesame mix and start to squeeze and mould into balls.
- You’ll have enough mix to make between 20 – 24 balls
- Place on a baking tray and allow to rest before placing in an airtight container and storing in the fridge.
- Next time you have the munchies – grab one of these energy balls.
Keywords: Sesame balls