- 200 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Sriracha chilli sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 kg chicken thighs and drumsticks with skin on
- 120 g Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp ground smoked paprika
- Pour the buttermilk into a large mixing bowl. Add the Sriracha chilli sauce, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the chicken thighs and drumsticks coating well with the buttermilk marinade.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and place in the fridge to marinade.
- Let the chicken soak in the buttermilk marinade for six hours to overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Before taking the chicken out of the fridge. Start making the crispy breadcrumb coating.You’ll probably need to coat the chicken in batches.
- On a plate sprinkle, a layer of Panko breadcrumbs and a small amount of the ground smoked paprika.
- Take each chicken piece, place on to the Panko breadcrumbs. Press firmly down, before turning and pressing again. Make sure each chicken piece is coated all over with the Panko breadcrumbs and paprika mix.This coating step may need to be done in two or three batches.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray.Place the tray on the top shelf of the oven and cook for between 35 – 40 minutes.Halfway through the cooking time, turn the tray around to allow the chicken to brown evenly.
- Take the chicken out of the oven, and serve.This chicken won’t last long! Enjoy!
Ahh you noticed, this isn’t actually fried chicken.
I oven-bake the chicken as a healthier alternative option to fried chicken.
So far there have been no complaints!