I am a little late to the avocado party. I never used to like avocados. All this smashed avocado craze has passed me buy. Every cafe I go into seems to be offering up smashed avocado slathered on toast. With or without a poached egg. It was only when I made my own guacamole. I got it. I got avocado. It was a revelation. Wow! Avocado can taste this good. This recipe for chunky guacamole only takes 10 minutes to make, and there’s no returning to the ready-made stuff.
This is my take on guacamole. I am not professing that it’s an authentic Mexican recipe. This chunky guacamole is fresh, tangy and lip-smackingly-tingly good. Best eaten with simple, plain tortilla chips.
If you have a barbeque coming up, take the shop bought guacamole off your shopping list and buy the ingredients to make your own chunky guacamole.
Trust me, you will never buy ready-made guacamole again!Print
- 1 onion (red, finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp salt (flakes )
- 1 dried red chilli crushed
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime (juice of)
- 1 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- Put half of the onion, salt and chilli into a pestle and mortar and crush.
- Into a small bowl scoop out the flesh of the two avacadoes.
- Add the crushed onion, salt and chilli to the avacado. With a fork, mash the avacado, while mixing through the onion, chilli and salt.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze in the juice of one half of the lime into the mashed avocado. Mix thoroughly.
- Now add the chopped coriander and the rest of the chopped onion and chilli, mix before finally adding salt to taste.
- Taste, the guacamole.Now fine tune the flavour until you get a balance of lime (using the rest of the lime) and salt to suit your taste.
Save this Pin