How to make healthy buttermilk fried chicken with a buttermilk and Sriracha marinade.
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Sriracha chilli sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of a lemon
- 1.5 kg chicken thighs and drumsticks with skin on
- 120 g Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp ground smoked paprika
- 0.25 tsp turmeric
- Pour the buttermilk into a large mixing bowl. Add the Sriracha chilli sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the chicken thighs and drumsticks coating well with the buttermilk marinade.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and place in the fridge to marinade.
- Let the chicken soak in the buttermilk marinade for six hours to overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Before taking the chicken out of the fridge. Start making the crispy breadcrumb coating. You’ll probably need to coat the chicken in batches.
- On a plate sprinkle, a layer of Panko breadcrumbs, add the smoked paprika and turmeric.
- Take each chicken piece, place it on the Panko breadcrumbs. Press firmly down, before turning and pressing again. Make sure each chicken piece is coated all over with the paprika-turmeric Panko breadcrumb mix. This coating step may need to be done in two or three batches.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray and place the tray on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for between 35 – 40 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, turn the tray around to allow the chicken to brown evenly.
- Take the chicken out of the oven, and serve. This chicken won’t last long! Enjoy!
Ahh you noticed, this isn’t actually fried chicken.
I oven-bake the chicken as a healthier alternative option to fried chicken.
So far there have been no complaints!