#ParentsStrikeBack – say no to the school funding cuts!

#ParentsStrikeBack  – say no to the school funding cuts!

I am joining the grassroots rebellion. The rebellion is telling the UK Government that I am pissed off with the proposed school funding cuts.  Cuts that will undermine my kids’ education, hinder their academic progress and no doubt drive down standards with life-long consequences.

How does the school funding cuts affect me?

Yes, I live in France. But, we’re moving back to the UK at the end of the summer and my children will go back into the UK school system.

I want my children to go to a local school. A local school that can provide a first class education. I believe my children are entitled to that.

Your local school deserves fair funding

Every school is affected by the proposed school funding cuts.

This amazing tool will show you exactly how much money your school is set to lose and how your school will be affected.

Here’s how you can help to stop the school funding cuts

1. Sign the petition against the school funding cuts

The school funding cuts will devastate our children’s education and will have the inevitable results of:

• Class sizes of up to 40 – overcrowded classes
  • Parents contributing to core running costs (in France I have to buy all my kids text books, exercise books and stationery. This adds up to over 300 euros per child each year.)
  • School days shortened to save money – increased childcare costs for you
  • Cuts to subjects such as music and languages – these are core subjects

Sign the petition here

2. Take your message to the top

The amazing people behind the grassroots campaign Fair Funding For All Schools have created a brilliant set of campaign resources including a letter you can download and send to your MP and the Education Secretary, the Rt Hon Justine Greening.

If you don’t know who your local MP is. You can find out here

And let’s face it, there’s an election rocking up….they want your vote!

3. Take to social media and spread the word.

You can use these hashtags to get your message out:

Grassroots campaigns work!

The grassroots campaign is working because even our the government’s backbenchers are asking their leaders to make a U-turn!

#ParentsStrkeBack!

Dear Bear and Beany

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

The Tale of Mummyhood

22 Comments

1. Sian - The Mama Story
    May 10, 2017 / 6:36 pm

Great post – it’s such a scary situation. Some parents in my area are making noise about it and there is supposed to be a meeting set up by a group of schools soon and I am hoping to attend. Thanks for highlighting the issue.
    #SharingTheBlogLove

• Tooting Mama
      May 10, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Thank you. It’s great to hear that parents are making a noise. If you get the chance do get involved. It’s such a horrendous situation.

2. May 10, 2017 / 10:23 am

This is shocking! My cousin was telling me that from September all primary schools in Wiltshire are closing at 1pm on a Friday because they can’t afford to pay the TAs. I can’t believe we have got to this situation. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove
    Laura – Dear Bear and Beany recently posted…A Day In The Life Of…Burnished ChaosMy Profile

• Tooting Mama
      May 10, 2017 / 7:18 pm

I can’t believe schools are closing at 1pm. Seriously how does that improve kids’ education and what do you do if you work? Suck up the extra cost!

3. May 8, 2017 / 7:22 pm

The funding cuts to education are so upsetting – it feels like it’s been going on for years now. I grew up with such a huge love of music and art, and it’s clear that those subjects have such a tiny focus in schools now. They’re just subjects for well off children to study outside of school. Class sizes of 40 is shocking – I remember the uproar about increasing to 30 when I was in school! Off to read more about the petition now. Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…The Pregnancy Diaries: Week 34My Profile

• Tooting Mama
      May 10, 2017 / 7:20 pm

This really upsets me this is so shortsighted and the repercussions affect a whole generation. You are right, only well-off kids will get the chance to do music, art, drama these subjects broaden children’s horizons and should be available to all kids.

• Tooting Mama
      May 10, 2017 / 7:21 pm

It’s completely outrageous. I hope they decide against these cuts.

4. May 8, 2017 / 3:36 pm

My daughter’s school has already shortened the school week by one lesson. That map is brilliant if you don’t already know what cuts are coming.

• Tooting Mama
      May 10, 2017 / 7:22 pm

It’s unbelievable that this is happening. It’s hard to make up for this, and it’s our children who suffer.

• Tooting Mama
      May 10, 2017 / 7:22 pm

Yes, completely ridiculous. Yes, we must support our schools.

• Tooting Mama
      May 10, 2017 / 7:24 pm

You are so right Lyndsey, it’s truly awful.

5. May 7, 2017 / 5:01 pm

Education is so important, I’m baffled by the amount of cuts that are planned for this sector. Madness! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza xx

• Tooting Mama
      May 10, 2017 / 7:24 pm

I completely agree education is so important, you can’t put a price on it, but the bean counters in Whitehall do. It’s outrageous.

6. May 7, 2017 / 9:50 am

Why can’t governments see that children are the world leader and workers of the future? To undervest in education is to turn a blind eye to the future of our country. Great post #Blogstravaganza

• Tooting Mama
      May 7, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Completely agree. Hope the politicians can see it soon!

• Tooting Mama
      May 7, 2017 / 3:27 pm

It’s total and utter madness. Let’s hope heads get knocked together and common sense prevails!

7. May 5, 2017 / 8:48 pm

I’m in despair at how there is a lack of love going into the things that matter, schools and hospitals. #brillblogposts

• Tooting Mama
      May 5, 2017 / 8:52 pm

I know it’s horrible. I don’t want us to go the way of the States and pull out of everything that matters. But the parent pressure parent power is working! So channel that despair and sign the petition and or write to your MP. Every little bit of parent power helps!