I love Grace Bonney and Design Sponge

I love Grace Bonney and Design Sponge

I love Grace Bonney’s Design Sponge. It started out as a simple blog in 2004 and is now a hub for all things beautiful including before and after projects, crafts, food and drink, travel, life and business and so much more. Known as “Martha Stewart for millennials’ Design Sponge reaches out to one million readers a day.

Design Sponge is where I stray to when I know I should be working on next week’s blog posts.  It’s where I go to when I want to nose around other people’s homes knowing I won’t get the door slammed in my face.

For me it’s total interior design lust, envy, greed and jealously because I know I can never attain this level of design perfection. I live a life of organised chaos plus I’m a bit lazy and bit of a sloth. But all the same I love Design Sponge.

What I love about Design Sponge

I Love that Design Sponge champions female entrepreneurs

Design Sponge has always been a real force for the female entrepreneur, a champion for women in business. I love the diversity of women and their businesses, reading their stories of how they started, how they get inspired and what keeps them going.

I love the before and afters of real life projects

I’m constantly living in the before stage. But if I need a bit of inspiration to fuel my dreaming I come here. I love rifling through the real-life projects of homes of different styles: apartments, ranches, mid-century modern houses, cozy bungalows, garden retreats. Our kitchen could do with an update, we have a loft extension planned – all projects for when I get back to the UK.

I love browsing the super cute & cool DIY projects

These DIY projects aren’t about knocking down walls, sanding down doors or tiling the bathroom. This DIY is small-scale, easily attainable craft projects such making heart-shaped tea lights, simple ideas for the home office and these cat magnets are a hoot and very cute!

I love salivating over the food & drink

It’s good food, food I want to eat. There’s chicken pot pie, there’s fried chicken (yes! my kids would love this), there’s espresso gelato, and the most amazing lamb meatballs in a warm yoghurt sauce. You guessed it, I love my food and I’m a real sucker for a food website where I can ogle stunning food photography and dream up glorious suppers for friends.

I love that it’s a treasure trove of all things beautiful

Whether I’m reading about the influence of ancient Indian crafts in modern design or the ”Day In The Life Of’ columns (I just love those).  In another life I too am a jewellery designer like Pamela Love or Kathleen Whitaker, maybe my blog will reach the heady heights of Oh Joy. Regardless, Design Sponge drives my day dreams.

So who is Grace Bonney?

Grace Bonney is the creator of Design Sponge, starting out in 2004, at the beginning of the blogging phenomenon. Previous to this she was a contributing editor and freelance writer for a titles such as: DominoHouse & Garden, New York HomeFood & WineIn StyleNew York Magazine.

Read her recent interview with Elle Magazine on building a really, truly inclusive company.

Grace has recently published her second book: In the Company of Women
Stories of what women entrepreneurs can do, offering insights into their success, how they overcame obstacles and barriers and staying true to you values.

It’s on my Christmas list!

This post has affiliate links, which means could I receive a bit of money if you make a purchase using the above links.

I want you to know that I only affiliate link to products I use, love, adore and want myself. Any money made will probably go towards my chocolate and red wine habit!

Dear Bear and Beany

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

A Mum Track Mind
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

32 Comments

1. November 8, 2016 / 1:41 pm

Wow what a wonderful website, I’ve just taken a quick nose at it and already I love the images. This could become another guilty pleasure. I’ll go back to take a snoop at it later on today. Thanks for sharing this with us at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

November 8, 2016 / 10:22 pm

I know – it is soon very good, I just love it!

2. November 4, 2016 / 7:17 am

Sounds like a site right up my street! I think I’ll be checking this out! #KCACOLS
    Kerry recently posted…Our Halloween PartyMy Profile

November 4, 2016 / 5:39 am

Thanks have a great time snooping around Design Sponge!

3. November 3, 2016 / 9:40 am

This looks so interesting. Thanks for linking up to #KCACOLS Hope to see you back next Sunday!

Nadia – Scandimummy x

November 3, 2016 / 9:46 am

Do enjoy!

4. November 1, 2016 / 10:45 pm

I’d never heard of this before but it sounds like something I should be looking at, like you! Thanks for sharing.

November 2, 2016 / 8:25 pm

No problem! It’s such fab site, happy to share!

November 2, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Have many happy hours soaking up Design Sponge!

5. November 1, 2016 / 9:08 am

Oooh, right up my street. I am just about to get to another temporary before stage, before a more permanent before stage (we’re renting whilst we sell and buy a new place), so this looks like a perfect place for me to spend some time when I’m supposed to be packing! Haha. Will definitely be checking out Elle for Grace’s interview and more on the book. Thank you x

Kat x
    Kat (Kitty and B) recently posted…Free Molton Brown Pampering| Rosa AbsoluteMy Profile

November 1, 2016 / 5:12 pm

Well this is a great place to spend your time! Enjoy!!!

October 31, 2016 / 8:38 pm

I’m sure you’ll love it, the food section is great.

6. October 31, 2016 / 3:37 pm

How have I never heard of this site before? It sounds right up my street! Thanks for sharing, off to gave a nosey now. Kat x
    Kat Eat.Love.Live recently posted…A Little Homeware HaulMy Profile

October 31, 2016 / 8:39 pm

It’s such a lovely site. I can spend hours lost amongst the home tours, interior designs, reading up on inspirational business women – I love it!

7. October 31, 2016 / 2:09 pm

Oh, I’m a huge fan of Design Sponge! My favourite are the home tours, I love a snoop around someone else’s home. It’s so easy to lose hours of your life browsing – I tend to do it in binge sessions rather than a daily browse! Thanks so much for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…Sharing the Blog Love – Showcase 18My Profile

October 31, 2016 / 8:42 pm

Yay! I’ve found another Design Sponge fan. I think Grace Bonney is amazing to have created and curate such a fabulous site.

8. October 31, 2016 / 2:07 pm

I’d never heard of it before. Sounds great. Love that they are supportive of business women! #KCACOLS

October 31, 2016 / 8:43 pm

It’s really worth checking out, there are some fab stories and fabulous businesses by amazing women.

9. October 31, 2016 / 12:19 pm

Never heard of this website before, love to find new ones to follow. This sounds like it has something for everyone x
    Yvonne recently posted…#Parentingscoop: Miracle MaxMy Profile

October 31, 2016 / 8:44 pm

Hope you spend a few happy hours browsing around the site!

10. October 30, 2016 / 10:59 am

I have not previously heard of Design Sponge. A recommendation from you is always a good one though! Food related posts always interest me!
    Rachel George recently posted…Welcome to the zoo?My Profile

October 30, 2016 / 4:39 pm

Aww thank you – enjoy, I love looking into people’s homes and seeing what they are up to, and the food is pretty good too!

11. October 30, 2016 / 8:14 am

I had not heard of this before so I just nipped over too take a look, I agree beautiful 🙂
    clairejustine recently posted…Close To You!!My Profile

October 30, 2016 / 4:45 pm

ooh you are going to be wasting many hours over at Design Sponge! I love it there!

12. October 29, 2016 / 1:19 pm

I hadn’t heard of this before so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

13. October 29, 2016 / 1:16 pm

Haven’t heard of this website or Grace Bonney – sounds like it might be up my street so thanks for the introduction ! #fortheloveofblog

October 28, 2016 / 2:14 pm

Thank you – hope you love it as much as I do!