Relaxing in the Rodin Sculpture Garden

Relaxing in the Rodin Sculpture Garden

So the kids went back to school last week, and I took this opportunity to grab lunch with King of the Mountains, in the sculpture garden of the Rodin Museum.

Auguste Rodin (born 12 November 1830), is one of France’s most famous sculptors. His greatest works include: The Thinker, The Gates of Hell and The Kiss. The museum and garden house many of his greatest masterpieces.

RodinsHouse

The garden is three hectares of  tranquility in the centre of Paris, next to Les Invalides, where Napoleon is buried.

That’s another on my must see in Paris list. I hear is simply spectacular inside.

Statues

The garden is split into the rose garden to the front, at the back is the ornamental garden and right toward the end, quietly, tucked behind  a hornbeam hedge is a relaxation area with benches and sun loungers, perfect for grabbing some shade to beat the city heat.

RelaxationareaThis garden is a wonderful space to get away from the hubbub of the metropolis to read a book, munch your lunch or have a moment of quiet contemplation with the ultimate thinker.

A little bit of history

Thethinker

The Thinker is the iconic piece, but I found the Burghers of Calais particularly moving. It commemorates a particular incident during the Hundred Years War.

Theburgersofcalais

Edward III of England had just won the Battle of Crecy and was now holding Calais under Siege. The French had been told to hold out at all costs, but could not lift the siege which was finally broken by starvation.

Edward decided to spare the city if six city leaders surrendered presumably to be executed. The leaders had to walk through the city with nooses around their neck, carrying keys to the city.

But their lives where spared by Edward’s wife, Queen Philippa of Hainault, claiming executing the men would bring bad luck on their unborn child. Their son Thomas, only lived for a year.

But you don’t have to go to Paris or Calais to see this sculpture, there is one in London, in Victoria Tower Gardens, Westminster.

If you are in Paris, and want a quiet place to escape to, just remember the Rodin Sculpture Garden.

Musée Rodin, 77 rue de Varenne, 75007 Paris, France

Admission

Opening times

Phone : +33 (0)1 44 18 61 10

Metro : Varenne (line 13) or Invalides (line 13, line 8)
R.E.R : Invalides (line C)
Bus : 69, 82, 87, 92
Vélib’ : 9, Bd des Invalides
Car parks : Bd des Invalides

Cuddle Fairy
Dear Bear and Beany

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

ethannevelyn

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

44 Comments

September 17, 2016 / 7:55 pm

The sculpture garden is a beautiful place,and so many amazing works of art to be surrounded by. Thanks for dropping by.

1. September 16, 2016 / 5:15 pm

What a beautiful place to visit, it looks so tranquil #KCACOLS

September 17, 2016 / 7:56 pm

Thank you, it’s well worth a visit if you are ever in Paris.

2. September 15, 2016 / 4:06 pm

Looks amazing xx #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 9:03 am

Thank you!

3. September 15, 2016 / 12:16 pm

This place looks fantastic! Just the idea to be able to relax in that wonderful garden admiring those sculptures just brings happiness to me! Great place to get some peace. Thanks for sharing this at #KCACOLS. It is lovely to have you. 🙂 x
    PS: please do not forget to comment the post before yours. I would really appreciate that! Thanks in advance, 😉 x
    A Moment With Franca recently posted…A Family Day Out At The O2My Profile

September 16, 2016 / 9:05 am

Thanks! It’s a fantastic place to dip out of busy Parisian life. BTW commenting now up to date!

4. September 13, 2016 / 3:34 pm

Sounds like it was the perfect place to escape to for a bit of peace whilst the kids were at school! My boys are desperate to go not the Eurostar and visit Paris so I must remember to add this to my list.

Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and I hope to see you back again on Sunday xx
    Maria recently posted…Gifts.co.uk – review and giveawayMy Profile

5. September 12, 2016 / 8:24 pm

What a lovely place to loose yourself in for a few hours and take it all in. I love to find out the history when I visit places. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x
    Laura – dear bear and beany recently posted…Living Arrows 37/52My Profile

September 13, 2016 / 1:25 pm

Aww – thank you! It’s a beautiful garden, happy to be lost for many hours!

6. September 11, 2016 / 7:47 pm

I love some time to myself in a garden or a park – it’s just so relaxing to get outside in the fresh air to clear your mind. This looks like a beautiful garden, and I loved hearing all the history behind the sculpture. Thanks so much for joining us again at #SharingtheBlogLove
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…5 Happy Things #22My Profile

September 11, 2016 / 8:17 pm

Well Katy, if you are every in Paris drop in! There are beautiful parks in Paris probably because we all living in apartment and need green space to escape into. This park is really super special.

7. September 10, 2016 / 9:40 pm

This is so interesting. Very iconic in the gardens west of the Houses of Parliament – yet they still played us… Poor Edward and his family for loosing their son. It must be so hard for them to overcome. Thank you so much for sharing this with us on #FabFridayPost
    Su {Ethan & Evelyn} recently posted…#FabFridayPost Linky #48 {09.09.16}My Profile

September 13, 2016 / 1:46 pm

It’s beautiful garden with so much history. Interesting that the history of the UK and Calais is so intertwined, even today!

8. September 9, 2016 / 6:57 pm

This looks like a wonderful, serene place to visit. A great place to escape. Paris has some great parks. I can’t remember the last time I went to a park to read a book. It sounds appealing. Thanks foe linking to #citytripping

September 8, 2016 / 8:47 pm

The parks in Paris are pretty amazing, this one is great to escape into for a little quiet time and surrounded by amazing art. Thanks for dropping by.

September 8, 2016 / 8:48 pm

Thank you. I do love reading about the stories behind a work of art. Interesting there’s a statue in the UK, and even today Calais is still a hot topic!

September 8, 2016 / 2:16 pm

The grounds are beautiful, it’s truly a place for quiet contemplation.

September 8, 2016 / 2:16 pm

Thank you for your comment. I need to hang out there more often!

September 8, 2016 / 2:15 pm

Thanks you. It is a gorgeous place to drop into and enjoy a little peace and quiet!

September 8, 2016 / 9:04 am

Thank you, it’s a very special place.

September 8, 2016 / 9:09 am

Awww! Now you are just making me blush! Thank you. Think I was just a swot at school! Rodin’s Sculpture Garden is beautiful. If you ever come to Paris get in touch – I’ll happily suggest places for you to see!

September 8, 2016 / 9:03 am

It’s great to have a place like this in the heart of a busy city.

September 8, 2016 / 9:00 am

Thank you it was great to grab a little peace, quiet and contemplation.

9. September 7, 2016 / 6:51 pm

I remember to fo there with school…it’s alovely place!

September 8, 2016 / 9:03 am

I love it there, hope to go back there soon and check out the actual museum this time!

September 7, 2016 / 11:38 am

There’s something pretty special about getting up close and personal with the Thinker!

September 7, 2016 / 11:32 am

It’s simply lovely in there, must make it a more regular escape!